Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import csv file into one record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joallyn

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm facing meltdown in the face of what is most likely a very simple operation.

I set up a command button on my form to call an external application, which outputs a *.csv file. The file consists of a number of rows and columns of test data results.

There are 2 things I'd like to do with those results:

1. I'd like the file to show up in a text box, so that the user could see what the program threw out, and

2. I want to import the results into a "test results" table. Ideally, the entire file would be one record (defined as memo format). However, when I try to set up the import spec, Access chunks up the data into different fields in the table. I've tried importing in both delimited and non-delimited format, and each time I wind up with data spread over rows and columns. How do I import the whole thing as one element? Or is there a much more elegant way to store a text file in Access?

thanks in advance!

J

To import it, I'd look into the filesystemobject, for instance something like this:

[tt]dim rs as dao.recordset
dim fs as scripting.filesystemobject
dim txt as scripting.textstream
dim sInString as string

set fs=new scripting.filesystemobject
set txt=fs.opentextfile("c:\path\name.csv",ForReading)
sInString=txt.readall
txt.close
set txt=nothing
set fs=nothing
set rs=currentdb.openrecordset("MemoTable",dbopentable)
rs.addnew
rs.fields("YourMemo").value=sInString
rs.update
rs.close
set rs=nothing[/tt]

- typed not tested, would require referencec to Microsoft Scripting Runtime and Microsoft DAO 3.# Object Library (in VBE - Tools | References)

Or instead of using the recordset, you could move to a new record, and dump the sInString variable to the memo text control.

Roy-Vidar

Joallyn,

Why save it in the database? If you make each filename unique, you can save the reference to the file name. This is much more efficient on space.

Craig

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a newbie to effective use of either one.

RoyVidar, after combing through the TT site for more examples of filesystemobject use, I still can't figure out where to put the code. On Enter? Focus???? Even the microsoft filesystemobject tutorial page ( doesn't get that specific. So...sorry to ask you to break it down even more simply, but where should I insert this?

Craig0201, I'm going for the brute-force method of database design because it seemed simpler: load the data into the table, end of problem. Of course, nothing ever turns out to be quite that easy...

thanks again,

J

You would have to determine which event to use, that fits your current challenge. But since you ask, you're alredy stating you're using a click event of a button to invoke the other application producing the csv file, why not place this within the same event? Or another button, or...

Roy-Vidar

OK! It works--not elegantly, but for now that's just fine. I'll tinker with the details and hopefully it will improve somewhat.

Thanks again for the helpful advice--

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back