Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Btrieve 7 file into .txt, .csv or access db

Status
Not open for further replies.

janpetrucci

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
Hello,

I have been given a Btrieve 7 file that I have to get the data from.

The file has no extension.

I have to get the data into a text file of some kind.

Can anyone provide me with the steps on how to do this?

Thanks

If oyu have the .ddfs and a tool such as crystal reports, you can write a report that basically dumps everything in the file on the report, then export to any of those formats. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Thankyou for your help!

Can you tell me if I need to download and ODBC driver in order to use Crystal?

not for a btrieve/pervasive file, provided that you have the .ddfs Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

You will need the DDF files to use any 3-rd party software. The Btrieve files themselves do not contain the field layout. The DDF files tell the ODBC drivers or other software how the data is formated. If you need the DDF files you have two options. One is to contact the original vendor and see if they will provide them. Second you can use a tool like BtSearch which can help you analyze the file and build the DDF files. You can download at Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back