Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Implementing Exchange and have a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjayM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
Our company is looking to setup an Exchange server, and I have a couple of questions (to start with) that have come up during some of our planning meetings.

1) How "user friendly" is the "offline" piece of Outlook? We have a small group of laptop/traveling users who need to be able to access Outlook (calendar, contacts and email) even when they aren't connected to any network. Do the OST files also cache "public" folders if wanted? For instance if we have a public contacts folder, will they be able to see it? Also semi-related, if a user is offsite and connected through say an aircard, will they be able to send mail?

2) We currently run a simple sendmail system, but along with that we are running a number of active mailing list servs through Mailman. What is the easiest way to keep those going with Exchange? We are a small company (under 100 email accounts), and I don't think we need the admin headache of running sendmail on the front-end of Exchange, unless it's a lot less of a headache than I think it is. Is there any way to pass email to specific addresses through Exchange and into another mail server?

Thanks for all the help,
Andrew

well regarding ur second query i think u can use the option of routing ur email through exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back