Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Implementing a Sonus SBC UC Controller downstream of an Avaya PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzmike

MIS
Aug 30, 2011
US
I was hoping to get a high level view of the necessary components and configuration/feature items necessary on an Avaya Definity (G3, ver. 9) PBX that will allow us to complete an in-place migration of users from the legacy PBX to the new Sonus/Skype,Lync UC system.

Basically what we want to do is to have both systems setup and running together initially. Over time, we want to be able to migrate users from one system to the other, but still keep their DID and extension call routing. I know it can be done and we have analyst that know how to make it work on the Sonus side. What we are missing is the how's of setting up the PBX to a.) receive a call, b.) based on rules either forward the calls through itself (legacy users) or pass it downstream to the UC controller.

We most likely will not attempt this work ourselves but have been working with a vendor who came back with the most insane quote I have ever seen to help us with just the PBX configuration, like quarter million insane. I think there may be a breakdown in communicating the need and want to get a better understand of the scope of what we need done here. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Mike

I guess Audiocodes T1 to SIP gateways would be your interface.

Once users move over, remove their station in the G3 and map them in the uniform dial plan to pick that Audiocodes trunk.

On the surface, it isn't that big of a deal. The devil's always in the details. How many people are moving?

Kyle555 is correct about using an Audiocodes.

What you didn't mention is the size of the PBX and the amount of traffic required to pass between the CM and SIP. This will determine the number of DS1 connections and therefore the number of Audiocodes gateways. Your number may seem high but without knowing exactly what you are doing it is difficult to comment.

You also want to make sure you have QSIG services enabled on the Avaya side.

Of course there is always the alternative of not integrating and routing all your traffic between systems over PSTN (assuming you have the trunk capacity in place).

I should have mentioned earlier that the UC will be accepting ISDN/PRI connection, not SIP Trunks. Therefore, the connection between the Avaya PBX and the UC Controller will be in the form of a T1/PRI connection, not SIP trunks. I have determined we will need 2 DS1 cards actually due to user size (~500). I think I now have a better handling on what we need done. The physical hardware identification, connection, and trunk configuration. Then we need to have someone do some basic call routing setup to send to to the appropriate system, depending on whether or not the user has been migrated or not.

Thanks again!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back