Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Implementing a Server into network but... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
All the clients are on a peer to peer network currently and I am going to be implementing the domain soon... the problem with that is that all the clients have there own desktop settings and wallpaper, icons, favorites, etc... via their local logon account.

Is there an EASY way to be able to point or replicate all that information into their new Domain account so they would not have to re-replicate all that info themselves?

Thanks in advance!
Chance~

You can set them up with a roaming profile. This will follow them where ever they log in to the domain. No matter what computer they use.

But how do I encorporate the "roaming profile" with their current local profile... I know how to incorporate "roaming" profiles before the domain implementation but how would I do it if the clients already have local user profiles created... how would I link them to the domain profile?

thanks!!
Chance~

When thei logon for the first time in rhe domain in acitve directiy its stor just users and pass and ather things but the local seattingis desktop and,.... wil remain the same

I had this same problem. Look into C:\Docs and Settings\.
There should be a folder for each user account, the admin, and a default user or all users folder. I've found that with only one account set up, usually the changes made to the desktop, start menu, and all that go into the All Users folder, which means that like mihai1 said, when you sign in the first time after joining the domain, and user.DOMAIN account will be set up with the same settings as All Users, so things will remain the same. I'm not sure on the reasons behind it, but sometimes the changes made are saved directly under a users folder in documents and settings, or even some are under the user folder and others in the all users folder. Figure out where the settings that are important are stored, copy the folders affecting the desktop and such into a temporary folder, then copy them back into the account created after you sign onto the domain. For example, I've usually had to copy the My Documents folder from the user's folder into the new account, but the desktop and start menu settings have usually been in the All Users folder, so they can be left there and will be used by the new account...

nokona13, here's a star for you. Great observations.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The easy way to set up a roaming profile is to log in as administrator on the local computer.
Right click on my computer, click on properties.
select user profiles tab.
select the profile you want to assign to the user.
click on "Copy To" button
write in the path you want the roaming profile stored in...
d:\userprofiles\mike
click "OK"
Then log into the domain and go to users and groups in AD
right click on the user, select properties.
select the profile tab.
Specify The path to the roaming profile.

Those are all great ideas...

What happens when you have a 200 based client network... see the thing is I would have to go to everyones PC to get this done correctly... I was just wondering if there was an easy way to do this without having to physically do all the labor... not that I am lazy, but to be able to get to everyones PC before they kill me because their information is not right there at that exact second is the killer of this whole thing.

Thanks guys!
Chance!~

If you have 200 computers already up and running and highly modified you might be screwed. I'm not a big windows scripter though. Anyone here with expertise there know if this kind of thing can be automated? Perhaps the server can run a script when a new local domain account is created on a client where the user says which account on the local computer they want the new account to look like and the script copies the appropriate files/folders?

I would think you have to visit each PC in order to join the PC to the domain. You could create a batch file that you run with a parameter (the user's name) which copies the "c:\doc and settings" to the user's profile directory.

R.Sobelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back