Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impact of SMS Component Server Being Unreachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySabre

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
CA
After one of our server administrators installed several security patches on the corporate SQL Server, which also stores our SMS database and is an SMS Component Server, I noticed that I was getting Red X in both my Component Status and Site System Status in the SMS Admin Console. Under Site System Status, the SMS Component Server for my SQL Server is reported to be "Unknown". (Note: I have one server acting as the site server, one SQL Server, and one site system server with DP, MP, SLP, RP on it)

When I tried to connect to the path of the SQL server using a UNC connection, I get an error message that prevents it from opening up that network path. Logging on locally, the drive is there. The database is also stored on that same drive, but appears to work still because I can create new collections and deploy packages without issues. Only problem is that SMS tries to connect via UNC to that path on an hourly basis and it isn't working.

This problem isn't high on the server administrator's task list because it only affects my logs, but has no known impact on other SQL users. Since my SMS Component Server status is reporting to be down on my SQL Server, what impact is there for SMS? Is there any long term effect if this goes unfixed? Am I losing some functionality? Since I'm not clear as to what this component is used for, I'm not able to convey the technical reasons why this is important to get resolved ASAP.

Could someone please help me in determining if this is a critical component or would SMS be OK?

Thanks!

Just an update on the problem I was having. The problem was traced back to an issue with IRPStackSize on the SQL Server. (Connecting to \\server\drive$ would always fail) Once the server admin manually added that value into the SQL Server, the problem went away. So the problem is now fixed.

My original question centered around what impacts are there if SMS cannot see the SMS Component Server on the SQL Server? (My SMS Database resides on the corp SQL server and separate from my SMS Server) All other functions appeared to work fine. (SMS Console works fine, I can deploy packages, run inventory, etc)

Only issue was that the SMS Component Server on the SQL Server reported a Critical Error in the logs because SMS could not connect to \\server\drive$. (Basically an "idiot light" telling me a part of SMS was not functioning properly.) Given that SQL functions appeared to work fine, what impact would there have been if SMS cannot see the SMS Component Server on the SQL Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back