Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Immediatly bounce unknown e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
I have a Linux box running Sendmail and a Windows 2003 server running Exchange 2003. Mail comes into my Linux box and is relayed behind my NAT into my Exchange server. It seems that a lot of email (At times tens of thousands, no exaggeration) is getting backed up into the /var/spool/mqueue directory on my sendmail server. When I look at these emails I notice that most if not all of them are to e-mail addresses that do not exist on my exchange server (spam). Is there a way in Sendmail or Exchange to immediately bounce these emails back to the sender when they arrive instead of letting them sit in the queue waiting for whatever?

Thanks

-Al

Did you find a solution yet ?

I am having a similar issue with exchange and Linux.....
Exchange Server is sending thousands of bad emails to non existing domain recipients hosted on a Linux mail server on the same network. Linux box rejects the email and sends back thousands of NDR's to exchange.

see my post:
thread955-1399961

Albion -

You'd want to use a solution on the Linux box if possible. No sense in that bad mail continuing on to your Exchange server if it doesn't need to.

However, if you can't find a solution to do that, you can enable [google]recipient filtering in Exchange[/google]. I usually recommend enabling tarpitting as well, but since mail is coming from your Linux box into Exchange, you don't need to do that.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back