Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

img src causes new session?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisLaborde

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
Our company has a few separate public sites. In order to centralize our analysis of how traffic moves through the sites, we have set up a separate site to serve images to the various sites, by having the "real" sites dynamically generated, including IMG tags where the SRC points to a URL at the tracking site. So, on any given public site, the pages contain tags like so:

IMG SRC=somehost/somepage.aspx?arg=val&arg2=val2 etc.

In this fashion, the tracking site gets "hits" with the requests for the images, and it saves the args to a database, which is later centrally analyzed.

The problem I'm facing is that even if the page is refreshed multiple times in a row, each hit to the tracking server generates a new session on that server.

Can anyone help me to understand why this is?

Thanks,
Travis

It's a connection from a remote host not from a browser, and the session information cannot be written to the host.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Actually Chris, the request would be coming from the browser. As I understand it, the "real" server sends the HTML to the browser, which then makes it's own separate connections to download the images for the IMG tags. So, the browser is making connection to the tracking server directly. The two webservers shouldn't even know or care about the existence of each other.

But, thanks for the post, it's good to see someone trying to help :)

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back