Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMF v1 installed after upgrade to Exchange 2003 SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakpgu

Technical User
Aug 9, 2005
US
--I’m basically an Exchange newbie who has a problem with Intelligent Message Filter on Exchange 2003 SP2 (on Server 2003 SP1). I recently started a new job with a small company and the boss wants to reduce the amount of UCE, so for starters I'm using IMF.
--The main problem is no mail is archived even when I set the SCL levels to most restrictive. The performance counters show that mail is being scanned.
--I suspect the problem is with IMF v1 which somebody mistakenly(?)installed after upgrading to Exchange SP2 (IMF v1 is listed in Add/Remove Programs; the Server Properties tab in ESM definitely shows SP2 installed).
--I’ve tried all sorts of workarounds listed here and from around Internet with no luck. Uninstalling IMF v1 via Control Panel just wipes out all versions of IMF from Exchange.
--Someone suggested removing re-installing Exchange SP2 but that seemed a bit drastic for this newbie to attempt on a production server. The Exchange server seems to function normally other than the aforementioned problems.
--I’d really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Patrick

Remove IMF v1 and reinstall SP2. That's going to be the best starting point.

How to configure connection filtering to use Realtime Block Lists (RBLs) and how to configure recipient filtering in Exchange 2003

SMTP tar pit feature for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

And see the sender filtering section of:

How to prevent unsolicited commercial e-mail in Exchange 2003

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I agree you should uninstall IMF, then just reinstall SP2, do not remove SP2.

Your mail wsn't being archived most likely because you probably didn't actually enable IMF.

Setting the SCL rating and setting to archive does NOT enable IMF. That is done by selecting to enable the message filtering in the advanced options of the Default SMTP Virtual Server.

Where to find it:
On the General tab of the Default SMTP Virtual Server Properties click on Advanced, click on your SMTP server identity and click on Edit and check to Apply Intelligent Message Filter

Once you have enabled archiving you will want a way to manage that content. For that I would recommend using my solution:

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

--Thank you both for replying. I've learned a lot from reading your other posts.

--I'll remove IMF v1 & re-install Exchange SP2 in the next few days and post the results. My brain often defaults to Homer Simpson mode when it comes to Exchange, so I want to study to SP2 release notes first.

--Mark, still no archived mail. I verified that Apply Intelligent Message Filter is checked on the Default SMTP Virtual Server. Also, your imfspam mgmt. page will come in handy once I get things running properly.

Best regards,
Patrick

Eh, I'd skip that KB. I wrote a script for it. :)

Code:
'==========================================================================
'
' NAME: IMFUpdateEnabler.vbs
'
' AUTHOR: Mark D. MacLachlan , The Spider's Parlor
' URL: [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.thespidersparlor.com[/URL]
' (c) 2006 All Rights Reserved
' DATE  : 5/22/2006
'
' COMMENT: Configures IMF to receive updates via Windows Update
'
'    THIS CODE AND INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
'    ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED To
'    THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A
'    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
'
'    IN NO EVENT SHALL THE SPIDER'S PARLOR AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS 
'    BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY
'    DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
'    WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS
'    ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
'    OF THIS CODE OR INFORMATION.
'
'    This script and many more can be found in the Admin Script Pack
'    by The Spider's Parlor [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.thespidersparlor.com/vbscript[/URL]
'==========================================================================
keypath ="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\ContentFilterState"
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
WshShell.RegWrite keypath, 1, "REG_DWORD"
If Not Err Then
		If Msgbox("In order to complete setup, the SMTP service must be restarted.  OK to restart SMTP?", vbYesNo, "Restart SMTP?") = vbYes Then
		    WSHShell.Run "CMD.EXE /C NET STOP SMTPSVC & NET START SMTPSVC"
		End if
Else
	MsgBox "Sorry A Problem Was Encountered" & vbCrLf & "Make sure you have permission to write to the registry.",,"Something went wrong"
End If	
WScript.Quit

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back