Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMF on SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

schief13

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
Hello, I am running SBS 2003 with SP1. I recently installed the Exchange SP2 to get the IMF functionality. The SP2 installed without error but it does not seem to have installed the IMF. Am looking under the properties of the Default SMPT Virtual Server and do not have the additioanl tab. Does any one know if there is a installtion log for the setup of SP2 or is the IMF functionality even an option with the Exchange that is bundled with SBS 2003?
Thanks

OK. Install the standalone IMF that you installed last year. Again. Then uninstall it. Then install SP2 again. That will fix the problem.

IMF works fine on SBS 2003, and is standard on SBS 2003 R2

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks for the replies... I did get IMF installed and have it configured at the global and virtual server levels per microsoft instructions. I have the threshold levels set at 8 and to archive files but it still does not seem to be scanning the incoming mail. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot the operation of IMF?

Thanks

With SP2 they moved some of the settings. You have configured the thresholds but not ENABLED IMF.

Right click your SMTP Virtual Server in Exchange System Manager.
[green]
<Organization> | Servers | <Exchange Server> | Protocols | SMTP | SMTP Virtual Server [/green]

Choose properties.

Now click General then Advanced. From here set the 'Apply Intelligent Message Filter' checkbox.

After you have IMF archiving messages you will quickly discover that it DOES give some false positives and you will need to manage the content a little. You can do that with my help. :)

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I was doing a little more reading over the weekend... Does the IMF function work with messages that are downloaded with the pop3 connector? This is how I currently get mail from our ISP as I do not have a static IP address and have not taken the time to figure out the configuration utilizing STMP...

Thanks

I think you're out of luck.

You be better off spending the extra couple of buck each month for a static IP address.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back