Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imail v6.00 spam blocking help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachenhunter

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm trying to get imail to block spam in a couple of differant ways, but I'm running into a little trouble.

I'm trying to it up so it will block messages like:
"meet singles in your area" and it's varriances like "meet christian singles in your area" But every attempt I do meets with a failure in the test dialog box, Unless I set up a rule for each subject title. What I kinda want to do set it up like in OE:
Where message contains "*****" or "*****" ....ect. but when I put more than one subject title even with the supposed or character " | " but it doesn't work I'm reading the book but it doesn't work so if the rule looks like:

meet singles in your area | meet christian singles
in your area

The rule breaks and neither string works so I'm pretty sure I screwed up when trying that but now I'm out of ideas, short of doing one rule for every single subject title (Which I hope isn't what I have to do) I'm stuck.

An other thing I wanted to do was block ip addresses. I read in the book and it goes on about blocking ip addresses for the smtp server, so you can't relay but does that also block e-mail comming into your server from that ip address? or is there someplace else I need to go to block incomming mail?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys can give.

Cody

If you can afford the upgrade, go up to the current version (8.04) that has some really good anti-spam built in. Was well worth the money for us.

If your running on a tight budget and have perl installed (or don't mind installing it) try ASSP. I dont remember what it means off hand but its working great for me. It even caught mail from my mom (I had the filter a little to night) :) it's available at

try this: (meet singles in your area|meet christian singles in your area)

If that doesn't work, try putting the strings in "":
("meet singles in your area"|"meet christian singles in your area")

best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back