Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imail server and Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

cckrocks

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
I am running imail server 4.06 on my Win2k server box. When clients attempt to send/recieve mail over the local network, everything works fine. When a remote client tries, they can recieve mail, but if they try to send mail, they get a "host not found" error. Could someone please point me in the right direction, I've checked all the DNS entries on my end and at my ISP and still can't get it working properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy,

Have you checked port 25, or whatever port to which your SMTP is listening? Many ISPs and most default firewall and NAT settings have this port closed to keep your mail server from becoming a SPAM relay.

Try telneting to your mail server on port 25 from a remote client.

If this is the issue, and you do open up the SMTP port, make sure your email server requires authentication to send mail. Otherwise someone will find the open port and will send email through your server.

HTH

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back