Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imaging Wireless Computers with ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizraz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2008
US
Hello,
I have a question and I'm not sure which forum to post it in.

I just purchased Ghost Solutions Suite to ease the headache of deploying images.
I have all the images stored on the server and rolling them out to my wired computers is a breeze. Though the only way i can see possible to image my wireless computers is to either go to machine to machine with a separate hard drive (that has the syspreped image and image the machine locally, or move all the machine to a rack where i can plug them in.

Is there any easier way to do this or am i stuck with this old school method?

If this is the wrong forum i apologize and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Presumably you need wireless drivers that work with the stub on the target machine, prior to o/s install. Obvious first call would be to symantec to see if they have experience/advice with this. If your wireless network is security enabled, that would presumably complicate matters.

How many machines are we talking? Desktops or laptops (just thinking the 'old school method' might be less troublesome - though if you're likely to want to do this en masse in the future, developing a viable method might be worth the effort).

Ghost often uses special drivers. I imagine they don't have them for wireless machines.

That's what my thinking was.
Yes i can't bring the security down for any matter of time and that would complicate it. I was just wondering if there was anyone who figured it out.

....nuts.

My understanding with the way GSS works is that it utilises the Intel PXE environment or a generic LAN Boot disk (you do have the opportunity to ensure you have the right card LAN drivers there as well), have you checked that there are any Dos based drivers for the wireless nic? If there are you should be able to use the Boot Disk creator tool to make a disk with those particular drivers on.

Failing that you're only likely choice is to use the wired\USB deployment method.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

You could put the image file on a USB pen as Ghost has USB support. I do not think that imaging with wireless is a good idea personally. I have a USB pen drive with a few images on it and it works OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back