Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imaging Tool 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

subx

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
DE
hi there,

in new BCM Systems are always 3.7Software for Imaging Tool included. Is there any seperate Nortel Imaging Software or do i have to use my own Software like Norten Ghost for that?....

thx and regards,

subx

You need to have the Nortel Bit Imaging Tool software to make it work (part NTAB9962). Although it's a Ghost image on the CD, it won't work with just the Ghost program - there's something embedded in the image that looks for the BIT tool application.

On top of that, to use it, you need to contact ITAS to get an unlock keycode on each system you want to use it on.

Thats not right. Norton Ghost can be used to apply the image.

Didn't work for me, maybe my version of Ghost was too old.

Sorry for being incorrect.

no problem ;)
my ghost.exe has a size of 1,32 MB (1.394.212 Bytes)
if you want i can look what exactly the command is to apply the image.

The ghost version I was using was from about 6 years ago. That might be part of the problem. I'd be interested in knowing what the syntax is to make it work. I got a message that said something like "No valid image found on drive XX" or something to that effect.

Sorry guys, I think "I am stuck on stupid". Is the question how to image an existing new or in service drive? I use Ghost or partition magic in both cases.

Is the question how to apply an image from another source?
I use either Ghost or Partition Magic for both purposes.

Here is where I am lost. Where are you getting your images from? Making your own? From a vendor or Nortel?
It sounds like you are saying there is an image on the CD that comes with the BCM and if so, my face is really red.

I just take out a drive from a new or existing system prior to booting up, copied it and kept both a Ghost and a PQ magic copy.

NARSBARS

mrmarshall,
Thanks, with a star. Now I don't feel quite so embarassed as I don't have a 3.7 CD yet.

What I am taking away from this is that if I have a BCM HD I can use my tools and a 3.7 CD to image the disk to 3.7.
I know I would be losing all programming, but the keycodes can be re-entered. Would the 3.7 image install any upgrades to bios or MSC firmware?

Does this summary sound correct?

NARSBARS

if u ghost u will get a blank BCM 3.7 HD like what u can order from nortel... no changes are done on ur motherboard or MSC.... if u have an upgradable BCM 400 version (msc 1a, 20GB HD etc) u can do that.... but u will need to do etiquette upgrade for msc b4 u can do any telephone programming....
but be carefull for etiquette upgrade on 3.7... i crushed once cause there was a file missing on orginal BCM 3.7 HD.. and etiquette couldnt finish upgrade......so MSC was out of service

thats what i have seen so far...

regards,

subx

subx,
I hear more and more horror stories about upping to 3.7.
What files were missing?

P.S. I got a sworn in blood promise from my vendor that the upgrade to 4.0 will be able to go from 3.6.

NARSBARS

hi narsbars,

i did work on some 3.7 versions now and they are working as fine as 3.6 does... upgraded and also new systems... I just had a problem with etiquette upload to msc from Rel 2.5 system msc to a Rel 3.7 system (during etiquette upload message appears not such file on bcm and loop of upload starts)... there was only a problem about the files for the msc core on that 3.7... but the 3.7 itself is still working fine... but if u have the upgrade software and keycode i would recommend that ur using it and not to ghost with 3.7....

regards,

subx

p.s: i guess upgrade for 4.0 will be something like new install :p

subx,
Thanks, the problems I have seen have been upgrades on 200s and 400s at 3.5 or 3.6 already. The registry is corrupted.
Thank you

NARSBARS

I'm trying to keep all 60 of my BCM's at the same level which is 3.6. I don't see any advantage for me to spend money to upgrade at this time. Whwn I get a new BCM and it has 3.7 on it, I do a reimage to 3.6 to keep them all the same. Does anybody see any problems with me doing this.?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back