Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imaging a mac hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sttcharl

Programmer
Dec 5, 2002
US
I've seen on many forums that imaging and restoring a mac hard drive is suppose to be easy to do, but haven't found anywhere that explains how to do it. I want to image a boot drive, preferably without having to take it out and slave it in another mac. Could anyone give me information on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-Steve

With OS X 10.3 I believe you have the ability to do this create and restore disk images using Disk Utility. For other 10.x versions you may be able to use the Carbon Copy shareware tool, or some simple UNIX commands, which I can advise on. It depends what you want to do with the image.

If you're on OS9 then I'm afraid I can't help.

spoodie
===================
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the only way to be sure."

What OS and what external media will you use?

You must explain your intended destination since imaging on the same drive defeats the purpose of imaging/backing up. I like Carbon Copy Cloner on OSX (donation-ware at
I clone my internal drive to an external firewire drive. The external drive can also be used as a boot drive. You can even clone boot drives to your iPod.

System 9 and earlier backups are simple since you just need to copy folders from the hard drive to another location.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

I am running OS 10.3, but I don't want to use external media. I want to save the image over the network onto a server.

okay... for the purpose of my curiosity, a network = external media

Carbon Copy Cloner seems to be the magic potion for you.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

When I mount a server as a drive, Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't recognize it as a target disk. So I try saving the image to a folder on that server, but it doesn't work correctly because of permissions, which shouldn't be a problem since I connected as administrator, but for whatever reason it won't copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back