Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imaging a harddrive on a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannoni

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
Using Norton Ghost can any one tell me if I can image a harddrive on a 3 computer network. All the computers have Ghost installed but I am unable to read other hard drives while in the Ghost image mode. I want to copy the hard drive of laptop to a desktop that has a CDRW to copy the image.

I can't tell you how to do it with ghost but I know for sure that powerquest drive image pro does it. You need to create the boot diskettes to do it. In my opinion, the program works much better than ghost as well. I got an oem copy cheap doing a search either on yahoo or price grabber.

Also, when you copy the hard drive from the laptop to the desktop, windows will have to pick up all the different hardware on bootup and everytime I've done it with win 98, it asks for the win 98 cd and unless you have the cab files on the hard drive, the cd drive won't be available and you will have to choose skip until after the third or fourth reboot when the cd drive finally loads. Don't even try it if you have windows 2000, it won't work. You have to install win 2k from scratch as well as all your applications then copy the data files. I've never tried it with win xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back