Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imagesetter issue with Agfa Accuset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellinifan

Technical User
Dec 30, 2004
US
I'm just trying to change the resolution / linescreen default in the Accuset 1500 Plus processor through the Agfa Apolgee pdf rip. The default is 1200 / 85line and I want the default changed to 2400 / 133 line (my InDesign CS just does not override the defaults of the ppd). I'm guessing I can do this through Accuset. I have access to Accuset on the Mac station where the rip is but not on my work station since I'm using XP and my accuset is old and not compatible. If you can guide me through this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm probably the wrong person to respond to this posting, (I work with Harlequin RIPs), but since no one else has I will offer a thought you most likely have tried.
InDesign does not seem to work well with old RIP's. You might try distilling to a pdf from InDesign. I think that the Accuset should be able to output to 3000 dpi. Unless the Accuset can be configured by the MAC, (ie configuration page, etc...) your application is the only way to change the resolution. I hope this helps.
John

Thanks John & Duncan for responding.
I know I can distill a pdf. Getting the job done is really not the issue. I find PageMaker very compatible with our Agfa and I can always send directly from the pdf or place in PageMaker to get results I want.(I know it is old software but it hasn't lost its functionality.)
What I would like to do is do this in InDesign. I guess our rip software(agfa pdf rip 1.0) is too old to work well with InDesign. Can't understand, though, why in InDesign the ppd gives me all the Agfa settings; they just don't override the default.
I don't know how to edit a ppd. I get the idea that direction may involve programming I am unfamiliar with.
Thanks for the input.
Dave

this is part of an Agfa PPD - I found it on the web:-

Code:
*CloseUI: *InputSlot

*RequiresPageRegion All: True

*OpenGroup: RIPFeatures/RIP Features

*OpenUI *Resolution/Resolution: PickOne

*DefaultResolution: [b]1200dpi[/b]

*OrderDependency: 36.0 DocumentSetup *Resolution

*Resolution 600dpi: "1 dict dup /HWResolution [600 600] put setpagedevice"

*Resolution 1200dpi: "1 dict dup /HWResolution [1200 1200] put setpagedevice"

*Resolution 1800dp

it's only a text file - no programming!

I would make a copy of the PPD and call it AccusetInDesign - and have a go at editing it

Kind Regards
Duncan

Great. So say I edited the res in the ppd and saved as another ppd, how exactly do I use it in InDesign? When I click on the agfa, the ppd associated with the printer is the old ppd and I can't change it like in PageMaker. Do I have to move the old one so that InDesign only recognizes the new one?

Why not just make a backup of the PPD - then alter the existing one? If you have no joy, then replace it with the unadulterated one.

Kind Regards
Duncan

You need to modify the USER BOOT file to change the standard defaults of your RIP.
Change the default Line Screen to 133 (or whatever you use most) and change the resolution to 2400.
The USER BOOT file allows you to modify many of the operating parameters of your RIP.
Are you printing directly to the RIP or are you dropping PS/PDF files into a HOT FOLDER?
You will get more predictable results dropping PS/PDF files into a HOT FOLDER.
My RIP is older than yours (VIPER 1.9.2) and my imagesetter is an original (1993) Accuset 1000, and I've been able to get everything to work.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck for replying.
I print directly to the rip. I use different software, different formats including pdfs but I don't use a hot folder.
Where exactly is the USER BOOT file you are referring to? Is it the software on my server or work station? Sorry, I really don't know.
Dave

OK, I see the Userboot file on the Rip workstation and when I open it as a text file gives me an area to add info I assume to change the default but I need to know exactly what to key in there (codes as well). There are no copy lines like the ppd that give me settings to change.

When I open Accuset, looks like I should be able to change the line screen under map ruling it is not real clear to me how to do that. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back