Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images won't open directly into photoshop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadm

Technical User
Nov 9, 2005
GB
When trying to open an image ie: eps, jpeg, psd etc (any photoshop CS files) when on the desktop or in a folder photoshop will open up but the files won't, I can't drag the file onto the dock either, which makes things that bit slower when working as I have to go to file, open in photoshop and then go and re-search for the image-does anyone have any ideas why the images don't launch?

This is also the case in Quark when I double click on the image-could this be a setting?

Thanks

are you saying you double click on an icon on your desktop that points to a graphic file like .jpg etc. and PShop starts but doesn't open the picture?

This is a common problem with macs, there is no known solution that i know of.

Click on a file icon with a .jpg extension. Either right click or control click to get contextual menu and go to Get Info. In the Get Info window go to Open with and select Photoshop. Under that you'll see a section "use this application to open all docs like this". if you don't see that click on the little triangle next to Open With. Click on Change All.

Repeat with each image type and any other applciable apps. For instance I have jpg & tiff open in Photoshop and eps open in Illustrator. I have .qxd set to open in Indesign.

If you're not seeing extensions, go to Finder and select Finder preferences on Finder menu. Go to advanced and check Show Extensions.

After you do this, shut down the computer. When you turn it back on see if the Open with settings hold and if things now work properly.

If this does not work, you probably have messed up preferences, You could go to User/Library/Preferences and trash "com.apple.finder.plist" and then go through the Open With thing again. I'm assuming that Finder prefs are waht control opening an document in a particular application. It could be somewhere else though.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

jmgalvin

I don't believe that "file association" is dadm's problem.

I believe he clicks on an icon that points to a graphics file like .jpg or .gif etc and their association is PShop.
PShop then opens but the pic is simply not there.

I believe this happened to me a long while back and I had to re-load PShop to fix the problem, but it's been so long ago I'n not sure that was the fix.

Well it certainly describes what I believe is the problem.

If it works for DADM I'll give ya a star !!

mscallisto:

Yeah I had that problem a long time ago too and could not remember what I did to fix it.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Thank you for all your help, jmgalvin was right with the probelm that I had, will let you know if it works.

Thanks again!

See here.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

I re-installed the programmes and this has done the trick, still not sure why it did that though.

Thanks for all your help.

I am having the same problem with files not opening when I double click on them, or when I right click on the files ( JPG, TIFF ect.)
The Program ( Photoshop 6.0.1) opens, no error messages or hang-ups, but the file does not get displayed. If I select FILE, OPEN from within the program and browse the file I want, it opens just fine.

Using WIN XP. Not Mac
I have un-installed the program and re-installed.

ANYONE?

Usually, when you uninstall, you have to manually trash Photoshop Prefs.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to trash the prefs in Windows. Hopefully, someone will come hare and explain that.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back