Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images stored in database

Status
Not open for further replies.

skicamel

Programmer
Dec 24, 2001
US
How does one go about viewing images stored in SQL? I've googled my little heart out, and can only find pages telling me not to store images, just pointers to their physical locations.

I'm aware it's not optimal. But I'm a knowledge sponge fallen off the wagon. Though it's extremely rare that one needs cursors, why shun the knowledge?

Oh, please don't store the images on the database. Please, just store the path to the location of those images.

You're really going to eat up storage space quickly if you store the image itself -- and there really isn't any legitimate reason why you would want to do so in the first place.

If I were more conspiratorial, I'd think nobody actually knows how to do this. In language we should all understand...

replicate('I just want to learn it. ',100)

...and side note... being born in Elgin... The Bears are going to hit the playoffs this year... Super Bowl next year... Figure every 20 years works, eh?

I think that's the same thing they say about the Cubs every year.

When it comes to Cubs and Bears, I think there's a leap year rule too (every other year or so). You're absolutely right Skicamel...it's good to learn (and experiment) otherwise you'll never know when to break the rule.
I've spent hours trying to get image data into a binary field. The only way I ever got it to work was in Access using a 3rd party dll, it would save the data as an OLE object. I save an old PC running W95 to do it when I have too. But I put the Access db on every workstation and it contains only the thumbnail images. The "full" version is a jpeg file in a standard directory also on each workstation. The server has the file name and path only. Good luck.
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers and user-defined functions are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

So is SkiCamel right? Nobody knows !!

Actually I need to do the very same thing for a project.
So it would really help if someone could divulge the secret in simple terms..

thx

TK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back