Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images on expired tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cglaser

MIS
Feb 13, 2004
US
Hi everyone,
The manager of my data center just came to me with a laundry list of tapes that are expired in various volume pools. He wants to take these tapes and simply put them into the ScratchPool. Is there a good method/specific command to seeing what is on these tapes before I go ahead and change their pools?
For instance we have a tape that was last mounted on 9/9/2001 - and the retention was only for 12 months. Can I mount this tape, see what is on it and then change the pool if I nothing of any particular value?

just saw the FAQ for this one...did a bpimmedia -meidaid <volser> -l and got no entity found - any other ideas?

If you run bpimmedia -mediaid <TapeNumber> -L and it shows not images - You are okay as the tape can safely be moved into the scratch pool. Remember though - You have to run this command on the master server.

thanks PGPhantom...going to get a lot of tapes back. If I expire these tapes - will they automatically go into the ScratchPool - or should I change the volume pool via the command line as well?

You will need to run vmchange for every tape.

If you add a SCRATCH_POOL entry to the install_path\Volmgr\vm.conf file:
SCRATCH_POOL = pool_name
Then you can just delete the tapes and re-inventory and then the new tapes will automatically go into the scratch pool.

thanks so much for your help! consider this one closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back