Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

images - OLE object or UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusset

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
GB
i am storing some images "in" an Access database. please could you let me know whether it would be better to store them as OLE objects in the database or to store a relative path to a folder?

i am vba-proficient so would probably choose the flexibility of the latter unless there is a good reason not to.

many thanks

gusset

I am no Access expert, but common sense tells you to store the file path. As the database grows larger (and images are especially large) you will find yourself literally waiting for your computer to finish a query.

If you MUST store an image as a BLOB (OLE object) then try to compress it first (either by zipping it or reducing the resolution.) You will then need to uncompress it "on-the-fly" when it is pulled from the DB.

Again, this is only common sense... I don't have years of experience like some of these other people do. -TD

yes, common sense leads me to that conclusion. there must be some advantage to using ole objects, though, else MS would not offer it. i forgot about the hyperlink field, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back