Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images lost when I export to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

melmar

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
JP
PLEASE HELP
I am creating a large poster with over 40 small photos in InDesign 2.0. For now, exporting to PDF is my only means of printing this poster as I am located in Tokyo (my english software is not compatible with their printers. I have no problem creating the PDR but, when I view it all but one of my images have DISAPPEARED. Why?

All the images I used were saved as .psd files and then placed in InDesign. I have tryed each of the PDF styles options available and nothing works. I am a brand new InDesign user(5 days) so, any and all suggestions welcome - I am under deadline! THANKS!

Is that one photo that shows up NOT a psd file? We use either tiff or eps format Photoshop images without a problem. Try changing a couple of the images, then replace on the poster, redo the pdf and see if they show up. If so, problem solved. To make the changeover faster, create a photoshop action so you can change all the photos in a batch process instead of individually.

Thanks for such a speedy response. I actually already tryed saving a few images as .tifs and then re-inserting them. No change. Thanks for your suggestion! I'll keep plugging away.

I would like some more info on this project. What is the size of the finished poster? What is the dpi of your images? Are you working with RGB image or CMYK? What are the sizes of the photos compared to the actual usage size?

Are you using Acrobat Reader 4, 5 or 6 to view the PDFs?

- - picklefish - -

Okay, I am almost there. When "custom" is used as the PDF style the document publishes with only 7 of the 40 images missing. I doubled checked that all 7 of the missing images are saved in the same format (.psd) and their size and resolution vary.

Here are the details you inquired about:
-Finished poster size: 33x22 inches
-The dpi of the images varys from 150-300
-All images are saved as CMYK
-Most images have been sized down by about 1/3 from their original size, a few have been unchanged.
-InDesign automatically exports the PDF in Acrobat 5

AHHH Victory! Due to user Jimoblak, I investigated the Acrobat Compatibility options on the export menu. My default was to publish as an Acrobat 5 PDF, but the compatibility was set to Acrobat 4. When I changed the compatibility to Acrobat 5 the 7 missing images appeared in the resulting PDF. I don't understand why..but I'll take it!

Thanks so much for the help lvixen & jimoblak. I just became member of this forum yesterday, but I can already see the tremendous value.

When I changed the compatibility to Acrobat 5 the 7 missing images appeared in the resulting PDF. I don't understand why..but I'll take it!

Reason: you must have had some sort of transparency applied to the images, which Acrobat 4 does not handle.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back