Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

images for single color printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

james23f

Technical User
Sep 12, 2002
ES
OK, I´m lost. Does anyone know how I need to prepare my images for single-ink printing?

Our printer will use one ink, so I suppose I need to rasterize my images, or something like that. Do they need to be saved as EPS, Tiff, or GIF? And more importantly, what are the settings that I need to apply to make these images print with just one ink? Is it Duotone? Is it bitmap?

I´m working in Photoshop, exporting them to Quark, and thoroughly confused.

Thanks.

If your printer is using only 1 colour just save all of your images as greyscale in photoshop or whatever program you use.

For the format, I would use TIF because it is the best quality and has the least problems when printing.

:)

i might be a little late to answer this question... but you need to change the photo in photoshop from cmyk to monotone(in the one color your going to use)...

I would save any raster images as either a grayscale or bitmap tiff. That way you can color them in Quark if necessary (it's a bit of a pain having to go back to Photoshop if you change your mind about what color you're going to use).

That said, you can work in any one color you like because in the end, the printer will be left with one separation that can be used with any color ink.

One more small point: never underestimate bitmap mode for elements that don't have any halftones. Many people are put off by their appearance on screen, but assuming the resolution is ok, they print much sharper than grayscale.

Depends on your ink color and how your printers rip handles images. Example I work for a printer if they send in a file that is going to print a PMS color, I would tell them to on their greyscale files to save them as 1/c montone files. Bitmap files can be colorized in Quark and will rip down fine. Always be sure that your PMS name in Photoshop is spelled the same as the one in Quark. Example if you use Pantone 200 CVC in photoshop make sure that it's spelled the same way in Quark.

Now some printers can handle colorized greyscales in Quark when they rip them. Contact a rep. from your printer and ask them what is the best way.

Need more info contact me.
PrepressSolutions
PrepressSolution@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back