Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images For Multiple Laptop Models. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcnetgeek

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2004
US
Hello All,

In our environment we run an array of Dell laptops; different models, some were ordered under XP Home, but We've since started ordering XP Pro only.

Often our laptops are issued to COnsultants who can work with us from 1 month up to a year. So we often get laptops in and basically we recylce them to new consultants.

The recent problem is that sitting there manually installing XP isnt acceptable. We have seen an increase in oncoming consultants which is why now its time to look for imaging solutions.

So im trying to piece together a solution involving Acronis True Image 9.1 (universal hardware addon) + sysprep. The driver issues we can figure out. Just gather drivers for all of our laptops out and put them in a repository to install after the image is complete.

The problem seems the mini-setup with sysprep and not activating windows or office so that we can use the COA key on the laptops. We have tried this once and after the installation it basically returned the notice that 27 days to activate windows. The key was accepted in mini setup, but considered incorrect when trying to activate.

So what is the best solution we can look at or what are some steps we can follow. The most important parts are the windows keys and activation and office keys and activations.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Lenny

Lenny :.
IT Guy :.
.::Get in where you fit in and where you need to fit in::.

After you've put your Sysprep.inf together (run SetupMgr.exe to create it if you haven't already) and put it in your c:\sysprep folder, copy sysprep.exe and setupcl.exe to the c:\sysprep folder. Then open a command line, change directories to C:\sysprep and run the following line:

sysprep.exe -reseal -activated -mini -pnp -forceshutdown

-reseal reseals the OS with a new SID
-activated doesn't remove the activation, if you're using VLA
-mini causes the minisetup to run when the PC is reimaged
-pnp rediscovers your hardware during the minisetup (useful if you're using different hardware platforms, like you are)
-forceshutdown forces the PC to shutdown when Sysprep completes its tasks

Once you do that, the PC will shut down. At that point, create your image from that PC. Push the new image onto another PC to test it. It should go through the hardware detection first, then go to the Welcome screen (unless you disable it in your Sysprep.inf).

If you want an example of a sysprep.inf set up for multiple hardware platforms and easy automation, Click Here. I took out our proprietary information but it should give you enough to get started.

I would be tempted to repartition the hard disk to provide a Drive D partition large enough to hold a True Image image backup of the newly installed system on Drive C.

Install XP on C and any applications, and True Image this to D:.

When you need to revert, use the Acronis CD boot method and restore C from the image on D.

bcaster, we dont really want to get into the VLA suit. May soon down the road. Your second suggestion also seems possible, but it would be using up at a minimum 5-7 GB of space, but it sounds like an option .. Plus this partition would be viewable to the user and i wouldnt want them to tamper with this.

Max, So this should work in a non-VLA agreement correct? I will review your suggestion and that link. Thank you very much. What about the office scenario? WOuld this also take care of this too?

My main concern is the COA keys on the laptops not working or accepting them during the mini setup and then all of a sudden stating that windows needs to be activated.

Thanks guys fro the suggestions..

...second suggestion also seems possible, but it would be using up at a minimum 5-7 GB of space, but it sounds like an option"

Just to note that Acronis allows compression. I would be surprised if a new install, with normal software, would compress to as large as 5-7gb.

bcaster, But this step would also be an additional step in addition to the first step of imaging the laptop from an already compiled image.

I appreciate the suggestion, but this would kind of be an extra step as we are trying to create an image that can run, install and accept the key without activating windows nor office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back