Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

images are placed wrong after export to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDuserLV

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
LV
There is leaflet prepared in indesign 2.0 CE with 3 images (15 mb each) saved as TIF from Photoshop. On these images there is white text converted to paths. When I export this leaflet to PDF and check it in Illustrator (because i send PDF files abroad where they have only illustrator) one of images is off placed, resized and croped in strange way. (Same file in acrobat 5 is fine looking). This has happened before with only one image in background, but when I cropped it in two parts and placed two seperate tiffs, everything went fine. What is wrong?? ID bug? Wrong file formats? Please ask questions if something unclear, but this is really important for me...

ok, this is getting really wired. I solved the problem by reducing DPI of two smaller pictures to 280 dpi and left larger one with 300 dpi, and everything worked, no shifts. BUT! this is not because i just reseived images, this is due probably bug in ID, because simple resaving didnt work, only dtp change worked. Also, as I already told in my post, other time splitting of image in half helped (or reducing in size). So question remains - what is wrong with ID and why changing picture size corrects this error. I would like ID to be TRUSTABLE programm, and dont want to measure image alignment on every export (5 per day)

Instead of exporting to PDF, what happens when you export EPS?

What version of Illustrator are you and your associates using?

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

When exporting as EPS everything is fine (exept filesize for emailing).

Illustrator 10.0 is what we use to check if everything is ok.

Can you export to EPS, open in Illustrator and then save to PDF?

--

Are there any transparency effects?

What PDF compatibility are you using when you export from ID? Acrobat 4 or 5? Does tweaking this make a difference?

Because things changed when you resampled images, I would look at the Compression settings of ID's PDF export. The option to 'Crop Image Data to Frames' may be the issue.

- - picklefish - -

Yes, I can export as eps and then save as PDF from illustrator, but then the size of PDF is remarkably larger than one from InDesign. This is actually why I love InDesign and why I forced all people in my company to move to InDesign, we are sending and receiving 50 different PDFs a day so all files are 300 K or less, for printinghouse jobs 4 mb is max (4+4 A3).

There is no transparency in problem cases.

Ok I will experiment with resampling settings, thanks for advice, I will report if any sucess.

Here is most important settings:

General
Pages: All
Spreads: Off
Compatibility: Acrobat 5.0
Generate Thumbnails: Off
Optimise PDF: Off
Export Nonprinting Objects: Off
Export Visible Guides and Baseline Grids: Off

Compression
Colour Bitmap Images
Bicubic Downsample at: 280 DPI
Compression: Automatic
Quality: Medium

Greyscale Bitmap Images
Bicubic Downsample at: 280 DPI
Compression: Automatic
Quality: Medium

Monochrome Bitmap Images
Bicubic Downsample at: 1400 DPI
Compression: CCITT Group 4

Compress Text and Line Art: On
Crop Image Data to Frames: On

Advanced
Colour: CMYK
Destination Profile: Document
Include ICC Profiles: Off
Simulate Overprint: N/A
Subset Fonts Below: 100%
Omit PDF: Off
Omit EPS: Off
Omit Bitmap Images: Off
Transparency Flattener Style: N/A
Ignore Spread Overrides: N/A

:( no way

I have exported that file as PDF with downsampling off, simple downsampling in stead of bicubic, no results.

In photoshop this tiff is 453,6 pt wide and 442,32 pt tall, I made ID picturebox larger 500 pt wide and 490 pt tall. In illustrator picture is 457,792 pt wide and 447,673 pt tall.

And in acrobat viewer everything seems ok.

So maybe its illustrator error? im downloading 10.0.3 update now, i will post results.

I'm guessing that the reason that you are getting a smaller PDF file from ID than from IL is because ID is not saving an IL-editable PDF. Extra data can be packed in the PDF so that it is easily editable in IL (if you saved the PDF from IL).

If you need editing capabilities, you may be stuck with the slightly larger PDF that Illustrator exports.

Keep in mind that PDFs were never intended to be editable documents. The idea behind PDF is to make a portable PostScript file. The aptly named Acrobat Distiller simplifies PS data to the essential amount needed to print, not to edit.

Send PDFs to printers. Send EPSs or INDDs to those that edit documents.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back