Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image upload issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickspace

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2005
US
I have a small .Net 2.0 app. that allows users to upload images and input text to an HTML editor. This site works perfectly when I run it from VS.Net. However when I publish it to IIS, the images appear as white boxes with a red square. I have tried messing with the security settings of the folder where these images are saved and also the folders that contain this folder without any luck. Has anyone experienced something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where are the images uploaded to? Are you pointing the correct server/folder? You need to post some code.

I am using Winthusiasm HTML Editor. The images get stored under "~/ImageBrowser/Images" folder. This is a setting available on the control itself. However, when uploaded, images appear with a red x as if there is not read permission. btw, under this Images folder, there is one folder each for each username.

However, when uploaded, images appear with a red x as if there is not read permission
So you upload them, then immediately display them? If so, what is the code? Did you verify that the images are uploading to the proper directory?

yes, the images are uploading correctly. they are supposed to be displayed after they get uploaded as the users are creating documents that can have images ebedded within text. The code is too long for me to post here. Also, the code for uploading is not available as I just have a dll for this control.

If you are uploading a document with an image in it, you expect it to show an image from the document in your page? There is no way for that to happen. What if there were more than one image in the doc, which one would it display if it could?

Well, you will have to do some debugging. You will have to check if you are actually pulling the images from where you think you are. Without seeing your code I can't help you much more.

i feel it is more a security issue than an incorrect source issue. i think the ASP.NET account doesn't have the correct NTFS permissions. But i have no clue how to go about switching this.

@jb: you have incredible patience :)
@nick: post the code. without it you're running is circles with jb. if you think you know the problem then 1. test your theory to (dis)prove. 2. if you think you know the answer then why did you need to ask for help?

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Hi,

jbenson001 says "Did you verify that the images are uploading to the proper directory?"

If you right click the little red square and choose properties is the address correct?

Cheers,
Jon

ToDo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back