Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image importingvery small

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougyfish

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
I have a Quark 4.1 document that is 24"x48". I've got a picture box the size of the documentthat I'm importing a Photoshop generated .tif file. The .tif file is 300dpi at 7500 pixels wide by 15000 pixels high. The photoshop document size settings are 25"x50". It's saved as a .tif with lzw compression.

When I import this file into the picture box it shows up as if it were only a couple inces tall and wide.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Doug

are you sure its not at 3000 dpi? if it is that would explain it being 2.5 inches wide.

Duncan

Good thought. Just checked it and it is in fact 300dpi. And that file is over 300Mb large. At 3000dpi I probably couldn't fit it on my hard drive :)

Any other thoughts on things to check?

Thanks,
Doug

The resolution makes no difference. The file size would still be the same. If it was at 3000 dpi it would just be 2.5 inches wide. 3000 x 2.5 = 7500 pixels. The only reason the resolution exists is to be instructive as to the size you 'intend' to use it. Then when using Quark for example, when the picture is imported it is immediately obvious the size it is designed to be used at. This removes the ambigouity and removes the likelihood of printing a 72 dpi image. For example, the dpi of an image is irrelevant on the web. Only the number of pixels matter.

Maybe Quark doesn't entirely understand the TiF version. What version of Photoshop. Try back-saving the version of the file and re-importing.

Duncan

It was saved with PS v6.0 on a PC (W2K). I resaved from the original and without lzw compression and it imported fine.

Thanks,
Doug

Cool! Glad to hear it. Where's my star???

Cheers
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back