Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image Gallery / Photography website help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm9

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
GB
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction for creating a photography website? I can create a HTML website no problems, but I don't know how to make a website that will automatically generate pages of images. In particular, I would like the images to be generated automatically via some sort of database, or to be selected from particular folders in my webspace. I will be creating the thumbnail images myself though, so don't need a utility to do this automatically for me.

The website will contain a few hundred photos, and they would be arranged into different categories, for example Landscapes, Portraits, Nature, Architecture, etc, and each category would have multiple pages of generated thumbnails. Basically, I don't want to manually create each gallery (as with as I found this to be hard work and I never bother updating it. But at the same time, I don't want to download a piece of software to display the images, as I want to create my own website.

The two websites below show pretty much what I'd like to learn how to do:

I create all my websites in HTML and notepad, and I can use JavaScript's and insert code etc. But I have a feeling that I'm going to have to learn ASP or PHP to do what I want here? Is this right? Where do I start? Can I learn just enough to do the website I'm after, or is it much more involved than this?

I've searched around, but I can't find any tutorials that do what I want, so perhaps someone can advise me or point me in the right direction to get started? I have ASP, PHP and CGI available on my webspace, plus a few other things that I could require.

Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to explain anything else.

Regards,

Stephen

ASP Photo Gallery. creates it's own links and categories from the site folders and reads captions for the photos from text files.

I used this code for my starting point and after a few (lot of) mods these pages run on the script

the product pages for this are based on the code with a LOT of reworking

I realise this is downloading something to do the job, but this will give you a good grounding in ASP. The only issue is that it will only run correctly on MS ASP

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

I'm the webmaster for the Ron Gershman site you used as an example of how a photography site should be done (msg #1).

Just wanted to say thanks for the link and the use of my work as a good example of how to build a dynamic photography site.

Eric David
Gold Zeppelin

ejd
"Just wanted to say thanks for the link and the use of my work as a good example of how to build a dynamic photography site."

ARE U SERIOUS with your post?!!!!
HOW does your post.site help?
WHERE did u post the solution on your site?nowhere!
seeing things work and MAKING them work r 2 different things.
SM9 follow the links provided by Chris IF u want to learn ASP,PHP or JSP.......
in short (ASP): it is just like browsing any records with a bit of FileObjects manipulation.
If u want to learn the new programming language then the topic needs to change....if u want to stay with HTML only then try the link I gave u above...it might help....
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Seems like this is a tired post now (you have like 50 suggestions for places to go) but in case someone searches later, I've had great luck with the following product (free download and use):

MY Gallery (still work-in-progress):

Most of my albums are "private" so you can't see them, but this package lets you add users, have people log in, allow people to upload their OWN photos (great when you have multiple people on the same project), it takes care of rotating, thumbnails, etc.

Good luck,

RJ

RudeJohn

First of all, thank you to everyone who has replied, and I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you all - I might be slow sometimes, but I'll always reply eventually!

I've been given lots of links to different sites, so I am going to take a look through them all tonight and see what I can do with them. At the moment, I only know HTML, so I will see what I can pick up and have a go at doing something through trial and error.

I've quickly checked out all the links suggested, and I've seen some promising things that I'm sure I could use. When I've had a thorough look over the next day or so, I'll post back to let you all know how I got on which each of your replies - if you are all prepared to help, then it's only fair that I should let you all know how I got on.

Thanks again, and I will post back soon.

Kind Regards,

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back