Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image File Formats All Degrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohriver

Technical User
Mar 22, 2000
US
O.K., I'm having a big problem with Pagemaker 7.0 and importing image files: they all lose resolution and quality and PLACE horribly degraded. Doesn't matter what file format I use, EPS, TIF, GIF, JPEG, BMP. End result = GARBAGE.

I cannot recall facing this troubleshooting difficulty with Pagemaker 6.5. Seems it would accept JPEGs just fine, even GIFs.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what is maybe going on here?
Thanks.

Hi!

Do you mean screen or output resolution? Images usually have 72 dpi screen preview and looks bad on monitor but prints out well.

LP.

hohriver: are you sure about the actual settings ?
High resolution for graphics preview.
For EPS: import filter 72dpi/Mill.Colors.
Send "Normal" (not "Optimized") to the printer.
----Gernot

polda/zefir: thanks for pointing me in a few germane directions. I reconfigured the prefs for high resolution display, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I can see or witness the poor resolution or degrading before I ever send it to print, and then when I try
printing it, it prints exactly the way I "see" it in
Pagemaker: all messed up. It carries over toe Acrobat
PDF if I distill the page, as well.

I could swear that I used to simply Place jpegs and gifs
from my image folders into PM docs without all these problems, and that they would appear in the documents precisely like they appeared in the image file format itself. I really don't get it.

But thanks for trying to help. I'll keep experimenting.

Hi,

I had the same problem in PM 7.0. While I expected the graphics to appear low res on screen -- I have set my General Preferences Graphic Display to Standard -- I expected the printed version to appear the same as PhotoShop. This was not the case.

However, when Printing I changed the Print Options for TIFF/Images from the default Optimised Subsampling to Normal. The print quality then became the same as that in PhotoShop -- perfect.

Clearly the Optimised Subsampling isn't. ; ^ )

Good luck with your own printing problem!

Hi,

Regarding Distillation and the production of a .pdf. Changing the Print Options for TIFF/Images from Optimised Subsampling to Normal fixes the print resolution when printing from PageMaker. It doesn't change the quality of an image that has been Distilled to a .pdf.

This is handled withing the PDF Export window itself. The image quality here defaults to Medium for the different types of images. By setting this to Maximum your .pdf image quality will be as good as when printed from within PageMaker itself.

I hope you are able to rectify your PM 7.0 image problems.

Is this available only in PageMaker 7.0? I can't seem to find this option in 6.5.

"Changing the Print Options for TIFF/Images from Optimised Subsampling to Normal fixes the print resolution when printing from PageMaker"

Hi zwark,

Are you having difficulty with your graphic print resolutions in PM 6.5?

The preferences described above are only available in PM 7.0. However, the problem described in the initial post also only exists in PM 7.0 (because of the new configuration element).

Good luck with your printing in PM 6.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back