Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

image copyright information 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBRookie

Programmer
May 29, 2001
US

Hi,

I know that I can read the EXIF information of an image but is there anyway to find out whether or not an image is copyrighted programmatically?

Many Thanks,
- VB Rookie

You may be able to detect information that has been stored in the image (like a copyright notice) but what happens if the information hasn't been stored in the file? Are you going to assume it isn't copyrighted?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I'm not sure how to handle that ... I supposed it should be flagged as 'copyright information unknown or not specified'. Any authorized user will be able to upload images but if an image is marked as copyrighted i'd like for the system to detect that when possible and mark it appropriately.

So this information can be retrieved from the photo? Would that be included in the EXIF information? I have't seen it there but maybe I just haven't been looking at it for images that have that specified.

- VB Rookie

To be honest (as I just haven't searched for this yet), I'm not sure where it would be stored but I know you can pretty much store whatever info you need in an image.

I'll have a dig around tomorrow to see what I can find but I'm fairly certain that you won't be very accurate in trying to detect copyrighted material (and if it's not going to be accurate is it even worth it?).

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks ... I've been digging more since posting this and testing and it is available in the EXIF information sometimes but not very often so no I don't plan on implementing this functionality. I'm just going to rely on the user to specify that.

Many Thanks,
- VB Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back