Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

image comes up blank when opened in photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman213

Technical User
Jan 14, 2008
US
So i have an image that I am trying to open in photoshop but when I open it its blank . I have tried to save as a pdf and it does the same thing . It was created in AI so im at a loss Does anyone have any ideas . Thank you

...you can open ai files and pdf files in photoshop although one or two things need to be addressed...

...when using ai files or pdf files, the artwork needs to be on the art board area in illustrator, defined by document setup...

...if the art is way off the art board then you will end up with blank pdf files and blank ai files when placing or opening in photoshop, as the bounding area is defined by the art board size...

...when saving to ai format you also need to have 'pdf compatibility' turned on to be able to open in photoshop, or place into indesign...

Andrew

...and also to add...

...file > place in photoshop wouldn't help either if the art isn't on the art board of the saved file, be it pdf or ai format...

Andrew

...also (digressing slightly), saving to eps from illustrator behaves differently, in that it doesn't take into account where it is positioned in relation to the artboard, eps will just save right around the objects (or art box), even objects you can't see...

...in some situations you might have to define a crop area in illustrator before saving to eps (or export to a raster image format), or for example target a small area of a very large graphic to print a quick proof of...

...to define a crop area, draw a box and with it selected choose object > crop area > make...

...to release a crop area choose object > crop area > release...

...you know it is a crop area when you can't select the trim marks and delete them...

Andrew

...indeed eugene, i know what you mean, my memory fails me all the time these days...

...wild youth it was!!!

: )

Andrew

Thanks guys I ended up saving it as a version 8 and that worked it was just strange becuase i have never had a problem before . Thanks agian everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back