Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image bloated database is to large. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard2

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
US
Approach 9.8 XP

I have slightly less than 1,300 records in the Approach database, and about one half of the records have a needed picture and a Windows Paint produced diagram embedded in the record. I previously had to split the Approach file into two parts to make the database somewhat more manageable (now about 1.8gb each). I have reduced all the picture sizes to the minimum for reasonable viewing and printing.

Currently, it is very cumbersome to back up and to have the records in two separate databases. I would like to reduce the size of the Approach file.

Is there an easy way to store the pictures and diagrams outside of the approach database file so that when a record is opened, the correct images would be brought in from the separate file and placed on the record in the appropriate places?

Thanks in advance,

Maynard

There is a method demonstrated in a Free Downloads over on XpertSS.com -- Do a search for "picture" in the downloads database or for "apr-pic".

Basically a script is used to display the content of an image file on a form view ( not in another program and not in a pictureplus field) and update it when a record change occurs. The image files need to be all about the same size because the base method used does not resize them to fit a defined space. Resizing them in script tends to distort the image.

Other limitations are listed in the sample program and in discussions about it on that site.

Sue Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back