Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iMac G3 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue79

Technical User
Sep 27, 2006
US
I have an iMac G3 and I wanted wireless internet on it. What do I need to install to make this happen? What kind of Airport card and do I need a base station?

You can search the internet for used/old airport cards that will fit with your particular model (you may need to be more specific than saying 'iMac G3' as there were a few models) or you can get an external solution like one from here:

That is the route I went so that even after the G3 dies, I still have a wireless option for another computer.

I see, it is a slot loading iMac G3. Graphite color. Would I also need a base station or just the airport card?

Bear with me for the moment, lets determine what you mean by wireless internet.

Are you taling about being able to connect to your wireless network in your home or business? Or are you referring to a broadband wireless card so you can access the internet?

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Unless you have neighbors that neglected to secure their own wireless network (or you plan to lug that iMac to your local coffee shop or library), you will need your own base station or wireless router in addition to whatever wireless card or wireless USB device you plug into that Mac.

You do not need to purchase the Apple brand of AirPort (now called Extreme) Base Station. Just make sure that whatever wireless router and receiver both match the type of network used. These types of networks will be called 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, etc. This is not a problem with today's equipment as it is usually backward compatible with all types. But you should take care if you are shopping for used/vintage/discontinued equipment.

I have my modem and wireless router upstairs hooked up to my other computer and I want My iMac G3 to receive internet from the downstairs. So all I would need is the Apple card to be installed in the G3, correct.

In addition to acquiring the appropriate Airport card, you need to configure it, once installed. Here is an Apple Support that might help:
You may need to check your router's wireless specs to make sure the Airport card's security options are compatible.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back