Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iMac crashed after OS X Installation! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Me and my pops just upgraded our iMac 266mhz to 160mb of RAM. Then we installed OS X over OS 8.xx+ (forgot the version it was before. It's mainly his) but then as it was installing, it couldn't install a file. So then we rebooted, and says that there's an error reading C: with a blank screen "boot failure." My dad is going crazy. What can we do, we can't go anywhere. Please help!

Danny

Does it say this on the first time you reboot after the install??

Or has the OS system been running for a while? If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

The OS X never finished install. It stop after installing when it was about 6 minutes left then it showed and error of not being able to install a file. It had a message of rebooting the system and that What I did. After rebooting the imac showed a blank screen saying "Failure reding C, boot failure".
I'm not sure what happen. It could be possible that the HD crushed?
Can you help?
thanks

Can someone help with this dilemna. I'm sure it's pretty easy to do.

Did you try restarting from the original CD that came with the machine?

You should be getting a Drive C: Error Mac OS doesn't go by letter name in the first place. Your error should read more like "Error reading from Hard Drive"

Have you partitioned your hard drive? I think that you need to put both the OS X and OS 9.2 systems on the first 8 mbytes partition or less.

Try restarting with the CD in and hold the "C" key on reboot to boot from the CD-ROM. Do your instaall from there.

Should not be more complex than that.

My understaanding of X is that you need OS 9.2 minimum to run alongside X. What version of X are you working with? (on the CD) 10.1???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back