Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iMac 333

Status
Not open for further replies.

crozier

Technical User
Oct 15, 2001
NZ
I have just bought a second hand iMac 333 and I'd like to install a bigger, faster hard drive. I also have a PC.

1. If I install the old iMac drive and the new one in the PC and use Symantec Ghost to clone the original to the first (8gb) partition of the new drive will it automatically boot when I install it into my iMac?

Or
2. I have successfully networked the iMac and the PC. Can I clone the iMac drive to a PC partition via the network?

you cannot interchange Mac and PC data via IDE (you could via SCSI but the iMac is IDE and few PCs used SCSI)

If you zip or stuffit Mac data, you can move it to a PC and back without trouble.

if the PC runs a FTP server like warFTP then the Mac can run an FTP client. (again the files need to be in zip or sit)

what you REALLY need is a friend with an external USB drive who will loan it to you for a weekend

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks Jimbo. BTW I should have added that I didn't get any installation or boot CDs with the iMac.

I don't have any friends with iMacs - I'm trail-blazing ;) But I do have have an external USB burner attached to my PC. I tried it on the iMac and I can read Cds on it OK - but I don't have any Mac burning software of a driver for it.

I would ebay a MacOS 9.1, 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 CD, and check the vendors site who made the CD burner for Mac software/drivers

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks again Jimbo,

I have tracked down OS9 on floppy. I have an external USB floppy drive, will the iMac boot from it?

The vendors of my CD burner don't support Mac OS :(

Just as a side note. If you need software to burn CD's with I highly recommend Adaptec Toast. Clean interface and very nice performance.

Just out of curiosity, why do you (jim) say that it will work with SCSI and not with IDE/ATA?

Regarding the actual first part of the question, ghost, if you use the DOS based version of it, then the answer is definitely yes. I have used it to image HDDs from a Linux box, Solaris x86 and Solaris Sparc IIi boxes. I cant say on the win32 version, but the DOS executable just reads bit for bit off the drive. This btw, is a good way to recover data from a HDD that won't boot.

Regarding the external USB drive...

I find external USB/Firewire drives essential. You can pick up a casing kit for $100 or less and drop in your old hard drive. While your iMac uses the slower USB1 port, an external drive casing to extend the life of your old drive may be a worthwhile investment.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Yup, jimoblak has the right idea. Get a USB external HD case - they can be had for as little as $40-50 US and place the new drive in it.

You can drag and drop your entire internal hard drive to you rnew USB drive, including the system folder (we're talking OS9.2.2 or earlier here - not OS X of any kind). You can then make sure the system folder on your new USB drive is blessed (shows the Mac icon on it) by simply opening it. Then open up your iMac and swap out drives and stick your old 6Gb or so in the USB case as a backup device. If you format it the drive on a PC you can use it on both Macs and PCs as either a transfer or backup device as the mac will mount a PC DOS formatted drive.

Les Gray

Connect the new IDE HDD (as slave) in to the IDE lead that comes from your CD, start up, format the new HDD then copy the data from the old HDD to the new HDD. shut down. Change the New HDD to master, install it where the old HDD was, put hte iMAC back together and start up.

Rember wehter you use a Mac or a PC IDE is the same on boath formats.

Actually dad200uk2000, that won't work. Although IDE is the same on both formats, the iMac, like some samll format PCs that are out there, uses a special cable on the IDE channel. The CD-Rom is a laptop type drive. The secondary ide connector will not fit the hard drive. You could replace the cable with a standard ide cable however and use a power splitter to powerup the second hard drive, and then reassemble the iMac and do what dad200uk2000 suggests, but you would have to pull it all apart and do it over again to reassemble it with the CD hooked up. Might not be worth the additional hassle.

Les Gray

Thanke Les, it's a while since I worked with an iMac. At the moment I'm installing EPOS systems.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back