Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMA Service stuck "Starting..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitrixInDallas

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
US
XP FR3 Farm with 13 servers (Win2k SP4). Reboot nightly. About once a week, one of my servers will come up after rebooting and the IMA service will stick in a "Starting..." state. It never errors out, just sits there. I've found no fix except to reimage from my master server. Data store on SQL seems ok. Kill the service, do a "dsmaint recreatelhc" works successfully in 2 seconds.

ideas?

I had this issue a couple of times and its always the result of a corrupt print driver. Whenever the Citrix server boots up it tries to update it's current print driver information to the DS. If there is a bad print driver or a stuck print job, it will either fail or just sit at "starting". One thing I did to stop this issue was to remove all the third party software and just install the native 2k or 2k3 drivers on the Citrix server. If this happens again try to rdp into the box and see if it lets you in. If it doesnt, try to manage the box remotly from the mmc and stop the print spooler. You might even want to disable it for testing purposes. Hope this helps.

You seem to be on track. If we disable the print spooler service, IMA starts. We're looking at ways to clear out print jobs during shutdown.

Also, try staggering the reboot. With 13 servers starting simultaneously there's going to be a lot of IMA traffic - and I believe IMA times out after a fairly short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back