Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IM with VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms777

Programmer
Jan 22, 2010
CA
Hi,

Is there anyway of creating an IM (Instant Messaging) program with VFP?

ANy suggestuions would be appreacited.

Thanks,
M7

You might consider doing a Google search for
VFP "instant messaging"

There were a number of 'hits' returned.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I did a search as you suggested and found "Dave Summers" cschat.zip program. It kinda does what I need but not quite. I would need something where many "clients" can chat among themselves.

Right now, the prg has it so that the 'server' "sees" everything the clients type. I need it so that that it's knida like the IM of Windows messaging. That is, I type something and other 'client's also see my sent "message".

Any helps, ways of doint that?

Thanks,
M7

From my original Google search I found 'hits' like:
VFUG Instant Messenger (VIM)

I also tried a couple different Google searches:
"Instant Messaging" ActiveX
or
"Instant Messaging" OCX

You should be able to integrate an ActiveX/OCX component into your VFP application without too much difficulty.

Those searches came back with a set of 'hits' which include things like:
Instant Messaging Suite-ActiveX 4.0

RaptiveX RapEngine ActiveX Instant Messaging OCX 1.50

and more....

Actually integrating an ActiveX/OCX might easily give you more features that you need.

Just get a little creative with your searching and you will most likely find a number of ways to handle your task. (I already have)

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

M7, Out of curiosity, I just did a quick search as suggested by JRB-Bldr, and saw several IM products that are advertised as working with VFP. I didn't look at them closely because I don't know what your requirements are, but I would have thought that at least one of them would be worth evaluating.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

I've looked at many of those and 99% are "paying". Is there anything simple and free that anybody knows of?

Thanks,
M7

The examples I put on my site are fairly basic, but they can be modified to do what you need.
For example, the 'server' app could me modified to rebroadcast every message it gets to every connected client.
I have already done a similar test like that so I know it can be done.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

So your issue is that as the #1 (or maybe #2) priority for your specification you want a FREE solution.

Well if your users/clients NEED it, then it might be worth spending some dollars one time to accomplish it.

Otherwise I don't have any more suggestions so I'd suggest that you keep looking.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I've looked around & the mswinsock ocx seesm to do what I need. What's your opinion? You are the gurus. :)

Thanks,
M7

I haven't used it personally, but if you want to try it here is something you might want to look at:

How to use the Winsock ActiveX control with Visual FoxPro
"Click Connect on the client form, and type some text in the Send text box in either form. When you leave the Send box, your text will appear in the other form's Receive box."

You might also want to look at the 'hits' from a Google search for: winsock message

Personally if there were enough NEED from my user/client base, I'd purchase the appropriate ActiveX utility and have done with it.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back