Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm trying to make sendmail send ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

amobasse

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I'm trying to make sendmail send mail without using the fully qualified name in the "from' body. Right now when you send email it comes out as "user@servername.domain.com" What I need is to have sendmail send mail as "user@domain.com".Any ideas what to change in the sendmail.cf file to make this happen.

Thanks
Allen

Could you please explain. I am not an expert with sendmail and it's macros. Thanks

Sendmail is really good and fast, but any documentation I have seen on it is horrible. I have an external relay (MimeSweeper) that I do content and Virus checking with so I shove all sendmail's outbound mail through that, which makes the config a bit simpler. This could also be your ISP's mail relay.
As MimeSweeper does all the anti-spam stuff too, I didn't need to worry about that in sendmail.cf

For your particular problem, you need to change the DM value to be whatever you want to be after the @ in your mail address

we run mail with the following options in order to check every 30 seconds:

startsrc -s sendmail -a "-bd -q30s" #change 30s to 5m for 5 minutes, etc.

Assuming domain is "mydomain.com" and hostname is "myhost"....

We only set the following in /etc/sendmail.cf and it works
#DwYourHostName
#DmYourDomainName
Dwmyhost
Dmmydomain.com
# my official domain name
Djmydomain.com
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
# Relay host to forward outgoing mail not in the local domain to.
DSsmtp:relay.mydomain.com
# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMmydomain.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back