Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Im recieving 4 worm emails each day

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
Since last thursday I have been getting 4 emails each day that are worms. its the same subject heading each time, offering me latest network security patch, latest ms security patch, and 2 which claim to be returned messages. I have not opened any and have done a scan of my system with an up to date mcafee virus scan 7 and found no problems. The only thing that troubles me is why I have gone from never recieving any unwanted emails to an account I have had for 3 years to suddenly getting 4 a day, every day.

Somewhere, somebody that has you in their address book has become infected.
There are a lot of people here that would tell you to count your blessings. 4 a day seems like a lot to somebody that has been clean for a long time but it would probably feel good to those who have been hit by hundreds a day.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Would it be possible for the person who has become infected to be sending them even if they only used web based email to send me messages?

Yes, it's quite possible. Swen has it's own SMTP mailing engine, so an infected computer only has to be connected to the internet in order to send itself out. Once the machine is infected, it doesn't matter if the user uses web based mail, pop, imap or even no email - the worm will send itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back