Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm not the only one that doesn't know about spooler 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscuit1

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
US
I have an interview tomorrow and I know I will be asked about Unix spooler. I need to know what it is used for and any info about it that I can get before Tuesday @ 1:00. I think spooler manages jobs sent to the printers but I'm not sure.

any help would be great.

You're correct, the 'spooler' manages and queues jobs sent to the printer, generally by the printing process /usr/lib/lpsched which runs in the background 'listening' for print requests to any printers set up on the system in question. When it receives a request, lpsched schedules (hence lpsched) the job with a unique number and sends it to the appropriate queue, where it takes it's turn to be printed. If you have a system handy, man lp will give you more details, but hope this is enough for now. Good luck in your interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back