Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm not sure about this error message, what does it mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperD

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
US
I am running a sql statement:

DoCmd.RunSQL ("Select Claim_Type,Primary_Pymt from Tests where PatientSS#=" & Form![PatientSS#])

When I run the statement I get a "Run-time error '3075' Syntax error in date in query expression 'PatientSS#=123456789'.

Why would I get this error message? The sql statement should pull a date.

Put Patient# in brackets [Patient#]. # is a reserved character, used to deliminate date values.

When I do that it says that the RunSQL action requires an arguement consisting on a sql statement.

Try
DoCmd.RunSQL ("Select Claim_Type,Primary_Pymt from Tests where [PatientSS#]= '" & Forms!whatevertheformname is[PatientSS#] &+"'")

Hi!

Just rename the field and the text box to eliminate the #. Even if you get this to work this time the # will be a pain for you anytime you try to do something with this field.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

What should I use for select queries then?

Thanks all for the help.

My bad! I was concentrating so much on the syntax I didn't see the invalid command.

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to pop records on the screen use Docmd.openquery and embed the Forms!frmWhatever![PatientSS#] in criteria line of the saved query.

If you are trying to loop through a recordset in code use
the ADO .open or .execute method or the DAO opendynaset stuff.

What I want to do is find the claim_type and payment_amount for the patient. If the claim is of a certain type I want to divide the payment in half and put that value into a field on the form. I'm just trying to figure out how to code the sql statement.

If you base your form on the query outlined abovc, you could use an IIF statement in the payment_amount text box:

=IIF(me!claim_type ="X", [payment_amount ]/.5,[payment_amount ])

Buy the way, 90% of my customers are healthcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back