Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm missing all my active x controls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzza

Programmer
Dec 21, 2000
AU
Hi,

I have just started a new job and the pc I've been allocated dosen't have any active x controls. I can find them in the System32 folder but when trying to register them but when I select the controls I want to bring in and click register nothing happens.

I'm using Access 97 and have installed Office Dev tools 97 with WinNT, I've tried uninstalling Access and Dev tools and re-installing them but still can't get at them. Can anyone help me get them back

Regards

gazzza

ODBC connection failing from a report in access97 on a win2000 pc.
Fails on entering code for detail_format event
Works fine on an NT pc
Went into the design of a module and selected tools, references from the main menu.
Missing: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0
I did a search for mscal.ocx on the c:\drive and it was not there
I copied the file
c:\winnt\system32\mscal.ocx from an NT PC into the same directory on the win2000 pc.
I cleared the reference to it through tools in access and created a new reference to the file I copied.
The ODBC connection worked.
Has anyone else come across this or similar problems?

I have the exact same problem at my work. I suspect it has something to do with the security settings on my computer, because ActiveX controls on other things (such as webpages) don't work for me, either. I don't know if the problem can be fixed, though. Sorry.

I would guess the problem is one of security. You have to have at least super-user rights on an NT box to register ActiveX controls. The reason for this is purely to stop malicious ActiveX's from being registered. I would suggest that you get ahold of your IT people and either get your permissions changed(as a programmer you'll need admin rights most of the time anyway) or at least get one of them to log in with an admin accountand register the ActiveX's.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back