Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm LOST when it comes to ISDN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switchlady1

Programmer
Apr 27, 2010
US
Although I've been programming in Nortel systems for a long time, I'm somewhat lost when it comes to configuring ISDN's. My limited knowledge might be enough to be dangerous but I just don't understand entirely what I am doing. Here are my questions for anyone who can answer:

1) What are the TSP's? How many USERID can I have? Do TSP's separate ISDN services entirely? In other words, if two users wanted one ISDN line/service each, can I program two TSP's on the same DSL, separating the services for two different users or are the TSP connected somehow?
2) In LD 27, do I need (1) DSL built to every TSP userID?
3) Can I build a TSP on an existing configured DSL to provide another ISDN service for someone totally separate from any other ISDN service?
4 Why two numbers for TSP? Do they have to be two DID numbers?
5) RE: Wiring - when would I use 2-wire vs 4-wire? Is that a specification for the equipment manufacturer?
6) Are the SILC cards for 4-wire and UILC cards for 2-wire?

Some of my questions may be asking the same thing and if so, I apologize for being redundant. Any insight to this would be much appreciated!

Well, I am not an expert from the switch end of things, but I can answer some of your questions.

One DSL per subscriber.

Each DSL can, at least in theory, support up to 8 terminals. Not sure how this correlates exactly to TSPs, and most switches do not support 8 terminals.

In reality, in the USA, 2 wire is used from the switch to the prem and 4 wires is used from the network termination unit (NT1) to the terminal. However many terminals support 2 wires with the NT1 internal. In most cases those device cannot share a DSL with another terminal

(unless they are clever and break out the 4 wire outsid ethe terminal. In that case a 2 wire terminal's NT1 could be shared with up to 7 other 4-wire terminals)

One and only one NT1 per 2 wire circuit.

Up to 8 terminals (at least in theory) can share the 4-wire circuit.

2 Wire good for up to 18k ft.

4-wire good to a maximum of 1 kft (best case, with several limiations.

Each DSL includes 2 DS0s ("B-channel") and can therefore support 2 simultaneous circuit switched calls.

Each DS0 can support circuit switched voice, circuit switched data, or both types of calls.

Terminals may support 1 or 2 B channel operation.

Nortel switches support "DMS Custom" and/or "National ISDN-1" and/or "National ISDN-2" D channel protocol. Not all terminals support all available protocols.

I hope this helps :)

-------------------------------------------

TIP: If you ask a better question, you will get a better reply. Be specific so we can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back