Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm learning jsp and servlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavani19t

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
US

I want to know what are needed to be downloaded to run
jsp and servlet applications.i have downloaded j2sdk and j2ee.is it necessary to downlaod any other server like tomcat to run servlets applications.

Thanks

you don't need to have j2ee to run servlets unless you are doing ejb. you do need tomcat as the container and jdk to build/compile the servlets.Tomcat will be a container to hold your servlets and serve the jsp pages.

~za~
You can't bring back a dead thread!

What i don't understand the stuff bout tomcat i have read bout it

Do you understand the idea behind client-server?

That is basic to understanding ANY server-side scripting or application language. JSP and Java Servlets are very much the SERVER side of application programming.

Tomcat is the server that will run your Java Servlets and JSP scripts. Other Java servers are Web Logic and WebSphere. These are very much like IIS running .NET and ASP applications on Windows.

For the web, if you don't have a server to connect to, you will never have an application that other clients can access.

Einstein47
("Tribulations are God's megaphone to awaken a deaf world." - C.S. Lewis)

Yes i'm not silly i know client server and i am doing work with servlets

jjust heard peple talk bout tomcat and wasn't sure what it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back