Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm in ASPI layer Hell. Help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nspeer

Technical User
May 27, 2002
US
I was attempting to use a SCSI scanner that does not have WIN XP drivers available. I found a forum that suggested an ASPI upgrade. I downloaded and ran a .bat file that was meant to upgrade the ASPI files in Windows/System and System32 folders (something to do with files like wowpost.exe, wnaspi.dll ). I did this a week ago. Yesterday I tried my CD-R drive and it will not read any CD-ROMs. The drive is recognized and appears in "my computer" but, it won't read. In fact, about 20% of the time when I put a disc into the CD-ROM drive (not the CD-R drive), the little light comes on as if it is trying to read the disc but it won't read and I can't eject the disc and the only way to get the little light on the drive to go off is to reboot.
I used a program calles ASPIchk from Adaptec to test my system's ASPI and it reports that the ASPI is not properly installed. I even used WinXP's system restore tool to go back to a point before I messed with the ASPI, but, to no avail.
What can I do to get my CD-R to function properly again (it worked fine before I messed with the ASPI stuff)?!
Thanks,
Neil
'

I recommend you go to this site and download ForceASPI:
There is additional ASPI help as well on that site.

For your scanner, in all probability you can find Windows 2000 drivers for your SCSI; look to the website of the SCSI board manufacturer, or do a search in Google Groups. The problem for the scanner is more often the Twain software rather than the SCSI driver. Again, Google Groups can often find an acceptable solution.

Thanks for your reply bcastner. I took your advice and used forceASPI to install the 4.60 ASPI layer files (all four). Still no luck. I then followed the advice found on the radified forum and removed the WOWPOST.exe and WINASPI.dll files as they are reportedly not needed by WinXP. Still no luck. I ran a RegEdit program also suggested in the Radified forum (it was in the 4.71 download from Adeptec) which makes a registry change for XP. Still, my CD-R will not read any disc! What else can I try?
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back