Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm having Windows 2000 file sharing probelms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxr71

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a 2 computer network at home. One machine is running Win2k and the other is running Win98.

Everything that is shared on the Win98 machine is available on the Win2K machine. But when I browse the the Win2k machine from the Win98 machine, there are some folders missing. I set the files to 'share' and allowed the guest account to access them. It puzzles me why some of the folders appaer and not others. Could someone help me share my folders on the Win2k machine so the win98 machine can access them?

thanks for your help.

Are the folders that are missing on an NTFS partition? If so, that is the reason you can't see them - Win 98 doesn't support NTFS, only FAT or FAT32. It's also a good idea to use another account and disable the guest account. It's a know avenue for unwanted access, used by hackers.BTW, you might also want to check the shared permissions again, and check there are no "Deny" perms set anywhere, as these will override anything else.

Steve

Essbee - it doesn't matter what the filestore is on the target computer - access is over the network (the target machine's operating system can read/write filestore, so can give such access to any machine over the network). If there was an NTFS partition on the local win98 machine, THEN win98 wouldn't be able to see it without third party software.

sxr71. Essbee's second suggestion - set up account on 2k machine with same user id/password used to logon to 98 is a reasonable one (& disable guest account - its a security risk if your network is connected to internet). Also, guest account access is more restricted than via a normal user (might be the reason you can't see some folders - guest account may not have access). If you want access to everything, make user you set up part of administrators group. Do check the 'deny access' box on security tab too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back