Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm having problems when I try to a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorguruga

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I'm having problems when I try to access the Search facility. It always freezes for about 5 seconds after loading. I'm interesteed to find out the reason and cure for this.

Also, when I try to access my Kazaa Shared Folder the pc sometimes slows down to a halt. Sometimes it just freezes indefinately and a hard reset is in order. Other times it becomes extremely sluggish and my ram usage goes completely haywire! It sometimes drops to 0 free ram left - just when I try to access this folder with no other apps running (not even Kazaa). I have run thorough virus and registry checks but can't determine the problem. Any ideas anyone?

Additional Info: I'm using a new Kazaa shared folder created on the Desktop for the moment instead of the usual folder which is on a seperate partition. Could the fact the folder is on the Desktop be the cause of the problem?

Here is one of the error returns:

0D : 0A27 : 014F75BC

Another small, but related problem is that on startup the pc freezes for about 5 seconds and then resumes normal operation. Why does it freeze and can it fixed?

Sys info: Win ME, 256 Ram, 1.5 Ghz Pentium Processor, Intel M/B, 60GB HD, 40GB HD.

I posted this in Win98 forum - I didnt notice the Win ME forum before.

It is Kazaa it has TROJAN in it!
Run your virus software and download adaware6
to clean all of the SPYWARE off your computer.

I already ran virus checks and spyware checks but still get the problem. I use McAfee but it found no viruses. What are the other possibilites? I use Spybot Seek and Destroy - never tried Adaware does it have any superior features that might solve the problem?

I would check my msconfig startup tab and uncheck KAZAA if it is starting. Yes, I think Adaware is better than SPYBOT. PestPartol is better that it. Have you deleted all of your cookies and temp files from the Internet. Be sure to edit the index.dat in the windows/cookies directory and delete everything in it. My Mcafee never would detect the trojan in KAZAA.

Another question I have is how large is that first kazaa folder? It may simply be too large, and your file system is having issues. Does it respond any better in safe mode? You might try a third party defragmentation tool like diskeeper.

But Mr Fixit is right, if you have Kazaa, you'll have some spywares running. Spybot should suffice, but make sure you have the latest updates for both Spybot and your virus scanner, then run them again.

Matt J.

I've succesfully solved the problem by disassociating Kazaa with the desktop shared folder and redirecting it to the original shared folder which was on a seperate dedicated partition. It seems that having a shared folder on the desktop is unwise because of the amount of data that has to be run through to access it. Now Kazaa's running fine but I still get that 5-second freeze with the Search tool (which I had ever since I installed the WinMe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back