Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm having a weird problem with Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishb0y

Programmer
Apr 27, 2001
GB
I'm having a weird problem with Win98.

After shutdown, although the power is off, the HDD starts spinning and when the machine is next booted, the system tray clock is set to 00.00 Jan 1 1999.

I have no idea what's causing this.

Anyone?

Don't know about the hard drive - probably some power setting, but for the clock try changing your CMOS battery.

I'll try changing the battery, but I don't think that's it. If it was flat, all the BIOS settings would be screwy. I think it's all related to the shutdown process - the machine is supposed to power down automatically, but if it did the HDD wouldn't be spinning.

Revisit the Power Management settings in the Control Panel and make sure there's nothing there that will get in the way...and in the BIOS make sure all the wake-on states are disabled.
The battery could be weak enough (though not flat) that it bottoms out...then recovers enough to at least reset the time to that weird date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back