Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm desperate!! Notes client unable to connect to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannibal

Technical User
Aug 2, 2000
NL
Hey,

Hope you can help me with the following problem. I'm almost going crazy!!

I have several NT 4.0 and Win95 clients who can't get connected to the Notes server through tcp/ip
they logon on to the network under their own ID. When starting notes the client cannot find the server: unable to connect to servername through tcp/ip
I have tried different things....clearing notes.ini...reinstall client...checked WINS....deleted their entire profile in Windows.
I am able to ping the notes server by ip address and by servername.

But when logging on to the client as an administrator, or when I make this client a member of the administrators group (which I obvisiously don't like doing) it all works fine.
What is wrong? Is it some kind of registry setting?

Please help, I'm desperate...

Have you tried checking to see if the notes server is in the host table of the machines, and if the hosts table is saved as a txt document, and not a sam file.

It sounds like you might be running Windows NT service pack 6. If so, our friends at MS ran into a regression error when trying to make some TCP numbers more random, and disabled sockets for non-administrative users of the NT server or workstation.

Upgrade the boxes to sp 6a or higher, and your problem should evaporate.

If that's not it, you can try creating specific connection documents for that server, but your symptoms are sp6.

Kevin

I assume that your network setting fot both your server and client is correct.Try creating connection document for each client by following step.

file ---> mobile ---> locations ---> create new connection

Thanks macknox! I was convinced that sp6a was running, but after a quick check it appeared to be sp6.
Upgrading solved theproblem for the NT user.

Now only my mobile win95 users are having difficulties. They dial in through a shiva ISDN connection.
When logged in to the network, they can browse the network, ping the notes ip address and ping by servername.
They are however unable to connect to the notesserver.
TCP/IP is the only protocol used.

I'll try the winsockupdate again.

Thanks so far for all your replies.

I had this problem with win 95/98 machines where a tech had entered a static ip address into the tcpip dialup. switched it back to dchp and it worked.

Thank you all for your help.

RGOFHST I've tried all settings. They connect through DHCP normally, but since that didn't work anymore I switched to static IP. That worked fine, well at least for the Notes part. With a static IP they were unable to browse the network etc.

But Suddenly it all worked fine again by using DHCP. I don't know what caused all the probs, but it's okay now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back