Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm Commected... Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seecke

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2003
US
I have a VPN Connection that I use from home to connect to my work PC using VNC. Everything works GREAT! I now would like to install an application on my home pc that accesses the servers at work for things such as dBs and files.

I am rather new to this arena and am in need for some direction.

How do I set up my home PC to do this?

Do I need to install my applications that connect to the dBs while coneected via VPN? ( I am sure I have to but I am asking to be 100%)

Work Server: Win2k - (no router involved)
Home PC: Win98

Thank you in advance for any and all replies. If I have missed a thread somewhere that explains this process, please point me in the right direction. If you need more info let me know and I will get the answers as soon as I can.

Steven E.

OOOPS sorry about the spelling error on the title... rented fingers here! It meant to say...

I'm connected... Now what?

Your VPN is what gives you access to the remote DB's. So like you think, you do need to have the VPN connection up to access the databases. I also assume your VPN gives you access to those remote hosts in addition to your work PC. (Can you ping them?)

I'm also new to all this VPN stuff.

We have a small network at the office and we are trying to create a VPN to a server we have elsewhere.

Two problems I was having. When I connect to the VPN it disconnects me from the internet. We have a cable modem at work for internet.

2nd I dont see anything extra on the network. It shows that I was able to connect all ok but I dont see the server on the network.

Thanx for your help.

308 Win
While connected to via VPN I can ping all of the other pcs at the office except for the SQL server and the main server. I am not really claer on what you are meaning by remote hosts.

Thanks!

Remote hosts that I'm refering to are the SQL server and main server.
Are they on the same physical network as the other machines that you can ping? If not than your problem might be a routing issue. Or there might be an access list blocking the pings.
What software/hardware are you using for the VPN.

The servers are on the same network. I can ping them when I am at work. I can also VPN in to work, VNC to my PC then VNC to the server and all works fine.

As far as VPN software... What ever comes with windows2k and Win98. Microsoft Exchange I guess. It was setup before I got here.

I use windows dialer to get in from home

the reason you lose your local internet while the vpn is running is probably a setting on the VPN device settings.

Open the VPN device on Network and dialup connections. Goto to Properties->Networking

Select the TCP/IP settings - select "advanced"

Un-check "use gateway on remote network"

close out, restart vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back